St. Peter’s Episcopal Church dates back to 1881 when on August 1, the first service was held in the Kerr County Courthouse, with Rev. C. McL. Howard presiding. In 1888, St. Peter’s became the first denominational church built in Kerrville on land donated by Capt. Joseph A. Tivy. The church still stands in the same location. Self-supporting parish status was attained in 1905. The original part of the present church building was built in 1928-30 of native limestone brought from the Carr Ranch just outside of town. A major expansion took place throughout the 1960’s with the addition of church offices, the chapel, and ten classrooms. St. Peter’s Episcopal School was opened in 1969. The school currently enrolls 138 students, pre-school through Kindergarten. It is the only school in the Texas Hill Country that is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. (NAEYC)
In 1983, the church was enlarged and transepts were added to increase seating to 325. Since that time, Shelton Hall was purchased and converted to house the Cottage Shop thrift store, choir room, and youth room. The labyrinth was completed in 1999 and Tucker Hall and the present office building were dedicated by Bishop Lillibridge on April 30, 2006.
The present congregation consists of 972 active Baptized members.